Saturday, February 7, 2009

DAREDEVIL

Here is a dear sweet picture of our baby Clark: Cute, huh? I guess he's not technically a baby anymore. He's 15 months. But I still tend to think of him as my baby. At least until I saw him do this yesterday:

When I first turned around to see this little boy standing on top of his Leap Frog learning table I think I sucked in about a gallon of air! How in the world did he get up there? Notice there are no other toys around the table that he used to climb on to get up on top. He merely used himself. And he accomplished this feat with a toy in hand. Notice the train in his left hand. He had to have done this somewhat one-handedly! Not only that, the center of this learning table is raised and the outsides slant downwards toward the ground. Clark is standing on the sloping edges of the table. And he balanced there just fine. Not a single care. Like he's on top of the world. Today I caught him trying to jump from the couch onto this same toy! Who does this kid think he is?

I started thinking about the absence of fear this child has and all the other "feats" he has recently accomplished that have made me catch my breath. I decided to catch a couple of them on video to document his fearless behavior. Clark started walking 2 months ago. And after catching him do this:

for the first time 2 weeks ago . . . . apparently he thinks he already gone pro on the whole walking thing.

No one showed him how to do this. No one taught him to get down the stairs this way. He figured it out all by himself. Does your 15 month old walk down the stairs like a normal person? Granted he is holding onto the stair rail bars, but he's WALKING down the stairs!! I know some 2 year olds who still will not WALK down the stairs. They still scoot down on their bums. Not this kid! And then there's this method:

Mallory would be the one that instigated this approach down the stairs. But Clark wasted no time in figuring out how she does it. He giggles all the way down. I think we have a thrill seeker on our hands. I foresee many visits to the ER with this child. He thinks he's invincible! Chase and Mallory were not nearly as fearless or daring as Clark is at this age. This is all new to me. Not once did Chase or Mallory ever climb out of their crib - or even ATTEMPT to climb out of their crib. I'm predicting Clark to be a different story. Not only do I think he will attempt it, I think he will succeed. At the rate he's going anyway . . . . with the whole "I like to participate in dangerous activities that freak my mother out" campaign he's running. These are JUST three of the fearless instances that have happened around here lately from our little Clark. The inspiration for Clark's name was Clark Kent . . . . . .Superman. At this point I think we named him after the wrong superhero. We should have named him Matt - after Matt Murdock. You know . . . .the Daredevil. . . .


*Disclaimer: Lest you judge too quickly and make a bad mother out of me . . . .I do watch my "daredevil" son as best I can. There are times when my back is turned for a few moments such as while cooking dinner, changing a load of laundry, helping one of my other two children use the bathroom, or heaven forbid I have to use the restroom myself, etc., etc. Clark seems to have a sixth sense about when my back is turned for those few moments. It is at these times that he decides to pull his freakish, seemingly pre-meditated stunts. I love my child and positively re-direct him toward safer methods of play when I catch him participating in unsafe activities. Including maneuvering the stairs in a safe manner.

12 comments:

Rochelle said...

I would freak too! I still think of Tannon as my baby even though he's 18months now. My kiddos don't learn stairs for a long time because we don't have any. I'm always so worried when we go to Grandma's and I have to watch them so close...then by the end of our visit they somehow know how to get up and down. Great videos of your little guy!

Annie said...

omg! that is just hysterical...he really is like a little dare devil. I seriously crap my pants if elle falls...i don't know how my anxiety would handle her doing that! And let me tell ya, elle was 18 months when she started walking downstairs and I thought that was good! Clark is amazing! good job breeding those kids! LUV YA!

Mark and Karen said...

You are so in for it!

I've never had a climber or a dare devil but I've heard stories and you are so in for it!!!

Debbie said...

He is one cute baby boy!!

The Waldon Family said...

Clark has skills! That is absolutely amazing. I don't think Kaylee could get on top of her learning table if there were an open bag of candy hanging from the top, let alone stand on it... way to go! Clark going down the stairs on his tummy was hilarious. Mallory is awesome. Thanks for sharing the cute videos!

Britt said...

That is hilarious. I am going thru the same thing with the two girls. They discovered they can climb on top of anything. The couches are by far their favorite place.. they run back and forth, bumpin into each other and sometimes falling off head first.

Nick and Maddy Winward said...

Go Clark! What a cutie! I love the stair ride!

Donna said...

So cute, and SO brave!! I'm not usually paranoid, but the stairs with Tanner freak me out. I just barely took down the baby gate at the bottom. And I still make him go down backwards. And I'm still really nervous when he's upstairs and I'm not. Anyway - I love the video of Mallory and Clark sliding down. So adorable!!(though that also freaks me out). Love you guys!!

Anonymous said...

I love it!

I can't believe how big he's getting!! Danica is becoming quite the daredevil as well. She will push toys up to the table and crawl onto it. She's a climber. Just recently her newest surprise is that she will sit on the dogs when they are laying down and beat on them until they get up, all the while she tries to hang on, and for the most part, it is very unsuccessful. But a few falls still does not deter her from doing it again and again.

What fun!

Amie said...

Oh boy Holly! He IS a daredevil! None of mine have been climbers...but we have had more than our share of ER trips. :) Mine just do some really crazy stuff in general! Good luck with him! We miss you guys.

mph said...

I can't believe he could keep his balance on that Leap Frog! Holy Cow!! Oh and I still call Jacob my baby and he just turned 17 months! He will be my baby until I have another one (not anytime soon).

Deanna Payne said...

Those videos crack me up. I especially loved watching Clarks feet flip up with each step he went down. He is amazing for his age. Liberty was just like him and scared the snot out of me so many times. Ok, your disclaimer was hilarious. I think any mom would know exactly how it works. My blog is proof that I suffer from a child just like Clark. The thing is I never thought of it as premeditated before. That is quite comical to me. Thanks for the giggles.