Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A Place to Call Home

Ok, so this post is long overdue. Back in June I did a post called Lessons Learned. I wrote about our housing "crisis" so to speak. So if you haven't read it or you want to refresh your memory you can click on June in the column on the right hand side and catch up! This post is a continuation of the Lessons Learned post. If you're interested that is :)

Anyway, the last part of that post I talked about how we had done some house hunting, but we really felt that we should hold off on buying a house. For about the first month or so that we lived here with my parents we continued to search for a home. We looked in many different subdivisions in the area and we even got the information on some homes that had been foreclosed on. Some of those foreclosures were screaming deals!! Each time we looked at homes and had found one that we really liked we would start to get a little excited and think, "Yeah, we could live here! This is a great house!" But the same feeling would always come afterwards. . . . Wait. We would house hunt again and again and get excited again and again and then - AGAIN that feeling would come, every time. . . .wait. One night I remember asking Heavenly Father, "What are we waiting for?" He didn't tell me. But we did take the hint after that and we quit house hunting. And we just decided. . . . .to wait.

So wait we did. My parents were great through all of this. They kept telling us, "Don't feel like you have to hurry out of here. You can stay as long as you need to. Take your time." I just didn't want them to feel like we were leeching off of them or something. But they were so nice about everything. Living here we have grown so much closer to them, we've grown closer to my grandparents who live downstairs in the basement (it's complicated, really :)), and we've grown closer to each other. My parents let us get out pretty much every weekend. We haven't dated this much since we were dating! We wouldn't even ask them if they could babysit the kids. They were so nice and would just offer to watch them if we wanted to get out. Of course we took them up on that offer many many times! It's been nice for Craig and I to be able to get out with each other like that for some good one on one time. They have been so kind to take us in and take care of us like they have. We've been able to get into a better financial situation living here as well.

Meanwhile, sometime in July Craig had gone on a business trip to Maryland. His company has a facility in there. The man who was the manager in Maryland got caught doing some dishonest things and the company ended up letting him go. So they flew Craig there to help the guys out in Maryland who now don't have a manager. Craig was out there for a week and almost every night I talked to him he would say, "I can't believe how beautiful it is out here. It's so green and there's trees! I could live here!" I would laugh and at one point during the week I told him, "Well, hey there's a job opening there now, maybe they'll ask you if you want to move out there and manage in Maryland." He really loved it there, but never thought that would happen. A little bit after he came back from his business trip we went to the Temple together. We were talking (whispering) before we started our session and I noticed that the lady I was doing the temple work for was from Maryland. I kind of smiled and pointed it out to Craig and said, "Hey, maybe the Lord's trying to tell us something!" Craig laughed and said, "I would rather move to New Jersey than to Maryland!" The company Craig works for also has a facility in New Jersey that did not have a manager.

Two or three weeks later Craig got a phone call from one of his bosses from the corporate office. His boss wanted to know if he would be willing to move to New Jersey and manage the facility there. He told his boss, "Let me talk to my wife first." (Good answer, babe!) I very clearly remember the morning that Craig called and asked me how I would feel about moving to New Jersey. I had just finished bawling my eyes out to Heavenly Father. I was sick of waiting. I am a planner. I like to have a plan. The last few months of life had had NO plan. And I was at a loss! After standing still and waiting for so long I wanted to feel like we were moving in a forward direction. It's almost funny how a few hours later the phone rang and a PLAN landed in my lap. Craig asked me how I would feel about it and he told me he wanted my honest opinion. I started laughing! I said to him, "Do you remember what you said a few weeks ago in the Temple?" He said, "No." And I said, "You said - out loud - in the Temple - that you would rather move to New Jersey than to Maryland." (Apparently Heavenly Father listens in on all those side conversations we have in the Temple!) He then remembered saying that and he started to laugh a little. We don't know if Craig was ever being considered for the Maryland position or not. But he did get asked to manage in New Jersey none the less.

He DID accept the offer. After much prayer and a couple of trips out to New Jersey we do feel that this move is right for our family.

Looking back we now see why we needed to WAIT. Had we put money down on a home here- we would have been out all of our earnest money! The home we are supposed to move into is not here. It's in New Jersey. Across the entire country. Very far from family.

So why the impression to move closer to family in the first place? In the Lessons Learned post I had mentioned that I wasn't sure why I had had that impression. One of my guesses - actually my first guess - was: Maybe Craig will get a job transfer out of state and we will end up raising our family far away and this is a time to be close to family before we leave. I think I hit it right on the nose with that guess. We are so glad that we did not move back into our home after we found out that the sale fell through. We would be stressing about what to do with our house. It probably would not have sold yet, we can't know for sure but with the way the market is it most likely would not have sold. We would be stressing with thinking about putting renters in it before we leave or do we just leave it on the market to see if it sells, etc.? We would have had to pack EVERYTHING up all over again! Most of our stuff has just remained in storage the past few months. So it's nice that there wasn't much to pack, just the stuff we had at my parent's house. We already have renters in there and things are going very smoothly. The house is being taken care of and it's one less thing that we have had to worry about as we have prepared to leave. Shortly after breaking the news to my mom, she came to me teary eyed and said one of the reasons the Lord put us here was for her. She expressed how grateful she was that she got to be so close to us for a time. She's loved watching the grandkids grow. Clark wasn't crawling when we got here and now he's standing on his own two feet. I've caught her telling Clark a couple of times, "I want to see you walk before you go!" Chase lost his first tooth and Mallory turned three. She says it's been a special tender mercy that the Lord has given to her to have us here in their home. Mom and Dad, we can't possibly thank you enough. . . . .

So today is Tuesday. We leave Friday. It's real. I can't believe it's real. But it's happening whether or not we're ready for it. All of our stuff is packed in storage boxes that will be shipped across the country. Our cars are being shipped as well. We thought about driving, but after weighing the options we decided that flying would be better. We could spend 4 days, in the car, driving across America - with three children - or we could spend 4 1/2 hours on an airplane. Driving would have been a little cheaper, but the many times we pictured driving, we pictured it as going something like this - "Mom, he's touching me!" "I have to go potty." "She's not giving me back my toy!" "He hit me!" "WAAAAAA", from the 11-month old who's sick of being in his car seat! Then we would just be yelling at our kids. I'll take the airplane thank you! It's already stressful enough on us moving our family across the country. We didn't want to pass that stress on to the kids.

Craig flew out this last weekend and rented us a townhouse. We thought about buying, but with how bad the economy is lately we didn't wanted to take on another mortgage. Maybe when we get our AZ home sold we'll talk about buying something out there.

We'll miss a lot of things about AZ, but we're excited for the adventures we'll have in NJ. There will be many changes. The wards in New Jersey encompass 7 or 8 cities. The closest temple is in Manhattan. It rains approximately 4 inches a month. And snow, we WILL have snow! And big puffy warm winter jackets with mittens and hats! NYC is less than an hour's train ride away. Washington DC is three hours away. The beach and Atlantic Ocean only 35 minutes away. Philadelphia is 30 minutes. Six Flags Theme Park - 30 minutes. It's against state law to pump your own gas. You wait in your car and someone does it for you. No tip required! Adventures, yes. . . . there will be many. . . . .

All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go. . . . . leaving on a jet plane, don't know when I'll be back again. . . .

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so very sad that you are leaving. I still couldn't believe it from the first day you told me. I will miss your friendship and the weekly phone visits. I can't imagine what my phone bill will be like now that you are so far away.. You are truly a great friend/cousin to me. You have been an example to me and I will miss that. I am so glad that we got to know each other these last few years and everything we have talked about or been through. Trying to get pregnant, dealing with a newborn and 2 other kids, and the latest topic!! LOL I hope you meet some great friends up there. I can't wait to come visit soon:) And you better visit me when you come down here.. Have a safe and fun trip!! I will miss you!

Debbie said...

Best wishes Holly and Craig. It will be a time you will grow close together as your own little family. Good luck.

Rochelle said...

Oh Holly, I am so JEALOUS of your faith and detication! I would not have been as patient. I'm so glad everything is turning out so well. I'll miss you guys as well (oh wait, I already have been missing you because I haven't seen you for 3 months already). Good luck in New Jersey! You'll love it, I'm sure. Justin and I have grown tons since being away from family. TWO WORDS: BABYSITTING CO-OP.

Elise and Dan said...

Wow! What change! You have great Faith. It is so hard to just WAIT sometimes. I look up to you guys for being so patient, and waiting for the Lord to give you his reason. You will do great in NJ. My sister has lived in the East for the last few years, and she says it is very different than the West. People and all. I', Jealous that you are so close to NYC. I've always wanted to visit NYC! Good luck Holly!

Becky, yep said...

What an adventure...Thank goodness for Bloggin...you can take us all right along with you!

Good luck!

Hey Lucy, I'm Home said...

Oh Holly... you are going to have such a wonderful adventure in New Jersey! I couldn't be more excited for you and your darling family. Please keep in touch! Thank goodness for blogland, for friendship, for cousins, and girls trips! :) My thoughts, love and prayers are with you for a safe and happy journey.

mph said...

That is sad and happy. Sad that you guys will be gone but happy that this is a good opportunity for you. You better keep up with the blogging!

Britt said...

Where do I begin? I am choked up right now... seriously. I am so touched. You and Craig rely heavily on the Lord. You are such an inspiration to me and my family. I seriously cannot get this lump out of my throat. I am sad to see your family go but I am so excited to keep up with your blog and read about your NJ adventures. Thank you for sharing all your experiences with me. I only hope that I can be as in tune as you have been. Thank you for sharing this.. truly...

Have a safe trip.

Heidi Joncas said...

You are a strong lady. Isn't it amazing to see how prayers get answered, even if it is not the way we planned. Good luck with your trip. Keep posting so we can keep in touch with your little family.

Laura said...

We wish you guys much luck and hope that your journey is awesome! I know what it is like to move with no family, you and craig will become closer than ever before. You will love not having to put your own gas,we did that in Oregon and it was wonderful. We didn't know it though and was kind of freaked out when some guy came up to our window trying to get our credit card. Keep in touch we want to see pics of NJ.

Mark and Karen said...

Wow and double wow!! I'm excited for you. These types of adventures are fun. At least we have been loving the change. Good luck with the whole move and flight.

Donna said...

How did I not find this out until now??!! Oh Holly I will be giving you a call TODAY!!! Friday?? AHHHH!!

Aranne and Dan said...

I just told Dan to call and check on you guys yesterday. I guess I am a day late... or maybe it was a little intuition that I did know! I am sad that we were just getting to know each other and now you are going to move. Thank goodness we have the blogs and can keep in touch and now all this means is we have one more place that we can come and visit. Be strong and remember you have tons of people who love you and support you. Call if you need anything and send us your address when you can. durban51@yahoo.com Keep in touch for sure!

The Becker Bunch said...

OH MY FREAKIN' GOODNESS!! I can't believe you are moving...across the country!! What a wonderful adventure for your family!! KEEP UPDATED ON YOUR BLOG!! I will miss you even more now that I know we can't just meet in the middle!! We love you, Kurtzeborns and wish and pray for the very best for you all!!

rachel said...

Wow, what a story....very inspirational and uplifting! Good luck, and make sure to blog all about it for us :)

Brooke Brooks said...

Wow thats huge news! And really exciting. The east coast is wonderful... not that I'm biased or anything ; )Good luck with the move!

Anonymous said...

Good luck Holly. You guys will have so many fun experiences out there - be sure to send us a Christmas card and keep us updated.

May you two have all the happiness come to you in the future - distance always makes the heart grow fonder. Visit soon.

Good luck.

:) said...

Oh Holly! I am so excited for you, but so sad for me. :) I am so glad that you got to spend such wonderful time with your family. I will miss my "Marcia" buddy. Keep me posted on that. We will miss you guys! Love, the Francom's

Nadine said...

Tami and I are definately gonna miss you girl.

Anonymous said...

WOW! That brings back a flood of memories and emotions. It sounds very similar to what happened when Randy and I moved out to AZ from MO (where my family was)...temple conversations and all. I surely know how hard it is to be so close to family and then move so far away from them. Keep us posted on your new fun adventures. You have such a cute family!!

Kel and Deke said...

Holly how exciting, you are so lucky. Deke served his mission in Maryland and we are counting the days until we get to move out East. I am so ready to leave AZ. What a wonderful new adventure you guys are headed into. I hope you guys love it there I can't wait to see some pictures of your new place.

Kel and Deke said...

Holly how exciting, you are so lucky. Deke served his mission in Maryland and we are counting the days until we get to move out East. I am so ready to leave AZ. What a wonderful new adventure you guys are headed into. I hope you guys love it there I can't wait to see some pictures of your new place.

Anonymous said...

How exciting! What an incredible adventure! I'll bet you'll love living away from your families just as much as you loved living near them. Good luck with everything!

Alicia said...

We will miss you so much at family things. Thanks so much for being my saving grace with Kaden when I started school. I couldn't have chosen a better place for him to be that first little bit. I love you!

Carrie Jo said...

Miss you guys already. It's so quiet upstairs! ;)

Nick and Maddy Winward said...

Holy Cow, those swollen pictures of Clark are crazy! No wonder you almost cried! It was so fun having you over. We are looking forward to Wednesday.

Heidi and Jace said...

Wow Holly!! What an amazing story! I'm so glad that it worked out. What a great adventure! Love the part about the temple! Hope all is well with you. E-mail me so I can get you on our list for our blog!
larkinaz@gmail.com
Take care!!

Joran said...

Good luck. It'll be a fun new adventure. I miss my family like crazy but it makes the visits home so much more fun.

Col said...

I went to high school with Craig. My wife and I now live in Manhattan with our two kids.

It would be great to catch up with you guys some time.

The Three Peas said...

Holy cow!!!! I'm actually insanely jealous of you guys! What an adventure!! It will be tough, at first I'm sure, but you'll be the only New Englanders I know!

:) said...

I am dying here. How is New Jersey? Tell us all about it. And your ward and neighborhood etc. . . Miss you guys!

The Becker Bunch said...

ME TOO!!! HOLLYyyyyyy...Where are youuuuuuuuuuuu?!?!?! We need an update!!!