Saturday, July 5, 2008

Our Busy 4th

As with all holidays, our 4th of July was busy, busy, busy! At the end of the day I think I found myself just as exhausted as my children. We had a fun day, but I crashed into bed last night!!

We got up at 5:30 because our ward did a 4th of July breakfast for everyone. I was actually really looking forward to it. The bishopric got a hold of a fire truck (not sure how) and they took the kids for a couple of rides around the block. The kids LOVED it! They thought it was the coolest thing to get to ride on top of a fire truck! We had a pancake breakfast and they turned the sprinklers on so the kids could run around and get wet. Chase very quickly figured out that he could turn and aim the sprinkler heads at the other kids! That's my Chase - always looking for trouble somewhere!
The bishopric had filled the fire truck up with 500 gallons of water to spray the kids with too. They thought the 500 gallons would last about 5 minutes for the kids to get wet in but it really only took about 2 minutes for the truck to empty! I couldn't believe the water ran out so fast. Someone called the fire station up the street and they asked if we could fill up the truck again. To our surprise they let us bring the truck back to fill it! So the kids got to get sprayed again.

After the breakfast we came home and let Clark take a morning nap. Then we went over to Craig's parents house and barbecued hamburgers and swam with them for most of the afternoon. Craig's mom made a pasta salad and Clark ate a plate as big as mine. He loved the noodles! His new favorite snack is pretzel rods so he snacked on a few of those too.

We goofed off with the camera:


And Mallory ended up falling asleep in her car seat on the way back home. My kids fall asleep in the funniest positions when they're in their car seats. Her head was tipped back - she was just worn out!


We went back home to my parent's house and all of my siblings came over and we had more hamburgers and hot dogs. We bought a few poppers for the kids to do their own "fireworks". Chase loved them! He was right in the middle of all the action! Mallory on the other hand hates fireworks and poppers and anything related to making loud noises. She has very sensitive hearing so she stayed as far away from the noises as possible. She just drove the little coupe car around the patio while we did the poppers. It was starting to storm when we went outside. The wind was blowing like crazy! Mallory could hardly stand up straight! After we finished firing off all of our little poppers we came inside and the boys played XBOX together. It was a fun day. I love it when Craig has a three day weekend! It was fun to get to know some more people in the ward and to spend time with our families. And the storm was a nice relaxing end to a busy day. I stood outside and just watched the storm blow in for awhile. Too bad there was no rain, but it was beautiful! Happy 4th!!

12 comments:

andreamatrix said...

Sounds like an awesome 4th. I'm a little jealous of your firetruck.

Shauna said...

What a fun day for your family. Is that a cactus in the last picture, so pretty.

Crystal said...

Fire Trucks run out of water very fast, that is why there is a fire hydrant every 300 ft. in most rural cities (interesting fact from my previous life!)

And your kids are Kurtzeborn's who can sleep just about anywhere in any position :)

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

I love the 4th! Sounds like a busy fun day with your cute kiddos.

Elise and Dan said...

Seem's like you guys had a very fun and busy day! That fire truck idea sounds like so much fun!

rachel said...

Looks like you had a ton of fun :)

Aranne and Dan said...

Glad you guys had a great holiday. They always do seem too busy huh? We had fun and now we have to get ready for this weekend. Mike and Holly are coming to visit! Oh no... I have to clean, clean, clean..

Donna said...

What a fun, and tiring day! Your ward seems like fun, with the firetruck and all. I love that picture of Clark! What a cutie!

Rachel said...

I am glad that you guys had so much fun! How are you liking your new area? Is it nice to be closer to family? LOVED your last post, your hilarious!!

Kel and Deke said...

Holly,
I love the new look of your blog. Looks like the kids had fun on the 4th. Your sweet little Mallory sure does look like you.

Kel and Deke said...

Holly,
I love the new look of your blog. Looks like the kids had fun on the 4th. Your sweet little Mallory sure does look like you.

Kel and Deke said...

Holly,
I love the new look of your blog. Looks like the kids had fun on the 4th. Your sweet little Mallory sure does look like you.