Friday, February 29, 2008

Karate Kid


We signed Chase up for karate classes about a month ago. He has mixed feelings about it. Sometimes he loves to go and he's excited and sometimes when I go to put his uniform on him he says, "I don't like karate. It's just too hard." We go twice a week. The little kids are so funny to watch! They are hilarious! Any type of side-kicking exercise and they are falling all over the place. They have the hardest time keeping their balance!

The instructor always starts the class by doing a few warm-up exercises. Push-ups, bicycles, arm circles, etc. Chase does push-ups by keeping his elbows locked so his arms remain straight. Then when the instructor says "down" Chase slams his hips into the floor. I can't imagine that being very comfortable - especially since he's male. I keep trying to explain to him that a push-up is an upper body move. I have even demonstrated and worked with him at home, but he insists that I have it all wrong!



Sometimes he pays really good attention, and sometimes his mind is running laps in La-La Land. . . . .



He's signed up to go all year so we'll see how he likes it once he gets into the program more. They teach good life skills in the class. Right now they are doing discipline. All the kids have to repeat, "Discipline - doing what you're supposed to do when you're supposed to do it." That's even gospel related! So it's a good thing. Craig took karate when he was a kid so it's something he wants Chase to learn too. I just wish it weren't so expensive! But Chase seems to have a good time, and that's what matters most!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chase is cute in his little karate uniform! I dont know about karate for Brayden I would rather him not learn how to hit he already does that. I think we might put him in soccer or something.

andreamatrix said...

He is so cute! They say karate teaches discipline, ability to focus, all I learned was wax on...wax off....

Rochelle said...

I just love little kids sports/activities. I remember Jayden's first soccer team. 3 years old and totally lost as to what to do and that he was part of a team. Chase totally looks like a pro.
Rochelle

:) said...

I love that last picture of him. How cute is that. I never took karate, but the only move I know how to do, I learned on Karate Kid ( one of Ben and Maggie's favorite movies ).

Donna said...

i agree with natalie, that last picture of him is adorable. he looks so happy. i swear we haven't seen you guys in forever...what's up with that?!

The Davis's said...

Those pictures are so cute! I bet he will start to really enjoy it the more he does it. I could see it being such a good thing for him. He is such a smart and active little guy!!!