Monday, March 31, 2008

What's In a Name?

I got tagged twice for this so I figured I should finally sit down and post on this! I know a lot of people have done this and it's been fun to hear why everyone named their kids what they did. We are so blessed to have had 3 babies to name. With my condition it's truly a miracle that we have ANY children, let alone 3 HEALTHY children!! So here are the what's and why's of our kiddos. I also included my favorite professional picture and a snapshot of them.

CHASE THOMAS





Growing up, my brothers and I used to play at our cousin Nathan's house a lot. Nathan had a friend named Chase who was over there all the time too. He was kind of a crazy kid, but I always thought he had a cool name. When we found out we were having a boy, I ran the name by Craig and he really liked it. So since I picked the first name I told Craig he could pick the middle name. He wanted to name him Chase Rodney. WOW! RODNEY!! No offense to anyone out there with the name Rodney, but I just never had that in mind for one of my children. So I convinced him to pick something else and he came up with Thomas. I'm not too big on Bible names either, but Thomas was way better than Rodney - so it became Thomas. Which is perfect now because he is obsessed with Thomas the Tank Engine! However, had I known that naming my child Chase would literally mean that I would spend my days "chasing" him around the house, in public, or wherever we are I would have named him Sitting Still. Sounds kind of like an Indian name doesn't it? :O)

MALLORY JADE





We had a very hard time naming Mallory. When I was 18 weeks pregnant with her we went to go find out if she was a girl or a boy at an ultrasound. We found out she was a girl, but we also found out that my body was halfway through the laboring process. Thanks to many priesthood blessings and modern-day medicine she is here today. We were hesitant to name her because we weren't sure if she was going to make it or not. Looking back I think we were trying to stay unattached to her because of how scared we were of losing her. At the end of the pregnancy we finally finalized a name for her. I had read a book - don't remember the name of it - but the main character's name was Mallory. I took it to Craig and he said, "Mallory? Like on Family Ties?" That show must have been before my era because I have never seen an episode. But he liked it so we went with it. We tried to come up with a middle name, but it seemed like nothing fit. I ended up getting one of my friend's wedding announcements in the mail. We were in the same ward for years growing up and she was a great friend - and her name sounded good next to Mallory. So Jade it was!

CLARK TYLER






Clark was actually going to be Corbin for the longest time. We called him Corbin for months while I was still pregnant with him! But Craig and I kept saying, "We love the name Corbin, but it's just not clicking!" We couldn't seem to find anything to "click" as we discussed names. So I finally just asked Heavenly Father if there was a specific name he had in mind for this child. I know that happens in the Bible - Heavenly Father has a certain name that He's wanted a child to have. So I questioned Him, and a couple of days later, we were watching Smallville. The show about Superman (Clark Kent) in his teenage years. The thought ran through my head, "How about Clark?" At first I thought, "No, it's too old fashioned." But a few days passed and Clark still kept coming into my mind. Meanwhile, I had a brother who was on his mission at the time in Hong Kong, China. I had written him an e-mail and had asked him what he thought of the name Clark. I was blown away by his response! When he answered my e-mail he said, "Holly, it's weird that you asked me that because the other night I was laying in bed and the name Clark Kent just popped into my head. And I started thinking about Superman." He said he thought the name was a good name. Wow! So my brother who's on the other side of the world has had a "Clark" impression too! I felt strongly that Clark was this child's name. Then I had to get the guts to bring it to Craig because I was so sure on this! He ended up loving it! He wanted to name him Clark Kent Kurtzeborn. (He LOVES Superman, but I told him there is no way we are doing that to our child!) I said no to Kent. And he suggested Tyler. Which is also his middle name and his mother's maiden name. There was also an Apostle named J. Reuben Clark. Clark was a good name!

I tag Sarah H., Crystal T. (I know he's still in utero!), and Amie W.

13 comments:

Rochelle said...

Cute stories........I love hearing how people come up with names.

:) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Donna said...

Cute kids, cute names....what more could you ask for? ooh...you reminded me that I still haven't done this myself.

:) said...

Oh not Crystal B. Sorry bout that. . . . now I feel like an idiot.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it funny how we tell our husbands they can choose a name or a middle name and we end up saying No Way! I am glad you chose Thomas for his middle name and I love the name Jade! Cute pic's!

Dave and Camille said...

So cute, thanks for sharing! :)

The Becker Bunch said...

CUTE...I love all your stories! I love all your names...and as Donna said, CUTE KIDS< CUTE NAMES!!

Britt said...

I LOVE how you chose your names. And the Sitting Still.. is a good idea.. I'll keep that in mind if we ever get pregnant again. ;) LOL.

Rachel said...

hey woman! I can't believe how big your kids are! That little Clark is such a doll! He looks so different than your other two! YOu guys are so darling!

The Waldon Family said...

Aaron says "Hi, it's good to hear from you!" Holly, I love looking at your blog because your little boy is just a little bit older than Kaylee and I get to see a preview of what's to come! Adorable, love your posts!

Brian and Jessica said...

Hey I got Kernan's shirt at CVS!! Isn't it cute?! I have heard that Walgreens has them too... :D

The Davis's said...

I love the names you chose. They fit them so good. It was neat to hear the story of Clark. I had never heard that before.

Nadine said...

Holly, I love your stories about the kid's names. They will love the fact that you've told the stories of them as well when they get older.