Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Trimming the Tree


For family night this week we ended up decorating the tree. Half of me loves putting up the tree and the other half hates it. Love it because it's fun to look at and it helps the excitement of the Christmas season begin when you pull out all the ornaments and the lights. The part of me that hates it always says, "How many ornaments are we going to break THIS year?" I lost track of how many ornaments got broken last Christmas season there were so many. And it wasn't Chase's fault. Chase insists that it was Superman that broke our ornaments. His large Superman action figure "flew" into the Christmas tree I don't know how many times sending glass shards of ornaments flying in every direction. Bad Superman. He saves people. He should know better than to fly into people's Christmas trees. And then there was the dinosaur. Again - it wasn't Chase's fault. That plastic toy dinosaur just "stomp, stomped down our stairs and jumped into our Christmas tree!" How rude.

So the tree has been up for two days now and so far we have 1 broken ornament. It was Craig's favorite. A Star Wars Starfighter Jet with R2D2 on the wing. When you push the button on it it makes Star Wars shooting noises. A pretty cool ornament. You'll never guess who broke it? Well, it wasn't Chase.
But if you ask Chase he'll tell you, "The jet just fell down off the Christmas tree and the wings broke off and went like this (he takes his two index fingers holding them close together and as he describes what happened to the wings when the jet "fell" from the tree, his fingers get farther and farther apart from each other in an outward motion.) Wow! Our Starfighter Jet took some fall!! If you ask Chase WHY the Starfighter Jet "fell" off the Christmas tree he will tell you that Clark (our little 13-month old) SHOOK our (7 and a half foot tall) Christmas tree causing the jet to fall from it's branch. Silly Clark. . . . .Christmas trees aren't for shaking!

Not to mention Clark is afraid of the Christmas tree. We were putting the tree up and he crawled underneath it and started screaming! I think the needles were poking him in the face. He freaked out and hasn't gone near it since. Which is a good thing. I really thought we were going to have some major problems with him wanting to play with the tree/ornaments/lights. Hopefully he stays afraid of it. We'll see if he gets more and more brave the longer it's up. I just hope we don't have anymore "shaking" incidences. . . . . :)

So getting out the tree and decorations was fun. We turned on some Christmas music and pulled all the boxes out. As always, the kids had a blast playing in the boxes!

Clark had fun taking the ornaments out:
Chase and Mallory hung them on the tree:
And Mallory got the honors of putting the angel on top this year:
We have loved having a fireplace here! Craig was excited that we have a mantle to hang stockings from. It's something he had as a child. Chase picked out the stocking holders. It makes a Christmas train. I LOVE the stockings! I got them on clearance last year at Target. They're velvet and the initial is in rhinestones. They have little tassels coming out the top too.
We've enjoyed the start of our Christmas season. And for once. . . . . it actually FEELS like Christmas! Baby, it's cold outside!

12 comments:

Dave and Camille said...

Your kids are way too cute! I miss having a mantle... I didn't take advantage of mine when I lived in Greeley, but seriously, how sad does one stocking look hanging by itself?? Now our house has no mantle.. oh well. Let's face it though, our tree is also stuck in the corner, so we're just appreciating what room we have! I'm glad to see that you guys are having fun and adjusting. It was sad not to see you in AZ!!!

Rochelle said...

Cute pictures and way cute stockings. I love that Chase blames the ornaments breaking on superman and the dinosaur. Too funny! I love the Rosemary under the turkey idea...sounds delicious. The only thing I learned about cooking turkey is that you have to do it at 350 for 4 hours and then turn it down so that it cooks slowly to not dry it out. My mom even ended up turning the over off early and just letting the turkey sit inside. I will probably mess it up big time next year (we'll have everyone here because my big guy will be 8).

Debbie said...

I was wondering if the reason Clark was afraid of the tree was because it was green. That picture of him with beans was TOO CUTE.

Anonymous said...

I love your tree. So this year we have no ornaments on our tree. We started to put some on, but Beau starting taking them off and throwing them(that is what he likes to do) so we have none just some tinsel. Maybe next year he will be better. Atleast mine wont get broken. I bet it is so nice up there right now. I love your stockings, wish I had a fireplace.

rachel said...

I wish maddie was afraid of our tree...she gets close, points to an ornament, says "no touchy" then bats at it...thankfully I put most of the unbreakables down low....

Donna said...

What a fun time! Man am I glad that we have cheap ornaments...cause Tanner is obsessed! The few nice ones that we do have I just put up high. And I'm getting tired of replacing all the ones Tanner pulls off, so the bottom of the tree is looking pretty bare! I love that stocking holder by the way! So cute!!

Elise and Dan said...

I totally hear ya on the ornament thing. Dan has A LOT of special ornaments from him childhood. We made sure we put those up high. I also learned that I can't put up Candy Canes now that I have kids. I couldn't keep them on the tree last year! Maybe it WAS superman eating all the Candy Canes! =)

mph said...

I LOVE your new family photos! Holly, you are so stunningly beautiful!! It looks like you are making your house just as cute as your old house here. Good job on the Christmas decorating!!

Britt said...

Ok WAY CUTE TREE! You have a fireplace?!! I would LOVE LOVE LOVE a fireplace. It's just so romantic.. don't you think?

My kids love to play with/near the ornaments also and they get broken too.

Anners said...

Holly, it looks like you guys are making your new place a home. Hope you have a great Christmas and enjoy the fireplace (they are nice and cozy).

Nick and Maddy Winward said...

Wow, Your tree looks great! Sounds like Superman needs a time out! I love the stockings!

Hey Lucy, I'm Home said...

Loving your tree, holiday decor, and everything! :) Wishing you and your sweet family a very Merry Christmas!