So our little Mallory has been potty training for almost three weeks now. It seems like she is too little to be such a big girl! Potty training Mallory has come with many successes, but also a few mishaps. It started with her taste testing the toilet water. Which obviously didn't taste that great because she hasn't attempted to drink it again. Either that or I invoked enough fear in her that if she did it again. . . . hmmm, I don't remember what I threatened her with - (use your imagination)! We were in Target the other night as a family and Mallory pipes up and says, "I need to go potty." Of course we were on the other side of the store from where the bathrooms were so I grabbed her hand and we started running (she was sprinting, I was jogging) across the store. Every 10 seconds I was parroting to her, "Don't go in your panties, don't go in your panties." We made it to the bathroom and she went like a champ! I was so proud of her! I also realized I had to go to the bathroom too. She was in the stall with me, I used the restroom, and she says, "Mama, you go pee-pee! Good job!" Next I expected to hear, "You get a candy!" Wow! She has my lines memorized! I also ask her every couple of hours throughout the day if she needs to go poop. (We're still working on that one.) So we're walking back to where Craig and the boys are in the store and I'm telling Mallory what a big girl she is and that she did such a good job and Mallory starts asking me, "Mom you got poops?" "No Mallory, I don't have poops." A few aisles later, "Mom, you got poops?" "No, Mallory. . . " After she asks me three times and after getting a weird look from a man covered in tattoos - who had obviously overheard our little conversation - I finally told her to quit asking me if I had to go number two in public! Is there any privacy with children?!
This afternoon I had to wake Mallory up from her nap so we could take Chase to his karate class. I got her out of bed and had her sit on the potty upstairs before we left. As usual, I was running behind, so I left her sitting up there by herself (big mistake, I know) while I ran downstairs to get Chase in his karate uniform. I got him in his uniform, gave him his shoes and socks to put on, and ran back upstairs to see if Mallory had gone to the bathroom yet. The bathroom is at the top of the stairs and the first thing I see is her little nakie behind bent over with her head in the cupboard under the sink.
Me: "Mallory, what are you doing?"
Mallory: "I'm getting more toilet paper."
Me: "Why do you need more toilet paper?"
Mallory: "Because it's just all gone."
Me: "Why is the toilet paper all gone? Did you go poo-poo?"
Mallory: "No."
I had reached the top of the stairs at this point and when I looked in the bathroom I realized what a big mistake I had made in leaving my two-year old alone on the potty - again! (You'd think I would have learned the first time!) The floor was covered in water! The toilet was overflowing, full of toilet paper, and water was drizzling down the sides of the toilet bowl. Lovely. Just lovely. "MALLORY!" I screamed! I told her she was no longer allowed to flush the potty. (yes, I know it was irrational.) I was soooo mad! And I was also in a big hurry - I didn't want Chase to be late to his first karate class! So I threw underwear and pants on her and decided to clean the water up when I got back from karate. The class is only a half an hour long. The mess could wait. Karate went great! Chase did so good and he looked so cute in his little uniform! We got home and I had completely forgotten about the mess in the bathroom. How? I don't know, but I did. (Kids kill brain cells). About 7:30 tonight - Craig and I are watching TV - Chase and Mallory come downstairs giggling and laughing and tell us, "We were swimming! We're all wet!" Craig says, "What do you mean you're swimming?" Chase says, "We're swimming in the pond upstairs!" Oh crap. Then I had to explain to Craig. . . .
I swear that child has a thing with toilet water! But regardless of the handful of "adventures" we've had, she's actually doing really well. She has an occasional accident, but she's learning very quickly. I on the other hand am a slower learner. . . . note to self: don't leave Mallory alone in the bathroom!
Thursday, January 24, 2008
Potty Training Continues. . . .
Posted by The Kurtzeborn Family at 10:31 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
WOW! Mallory sounds like she is doing a lot better at going to the bathroom... It takes work, but they eventually get there! I bet you were pretty embrassed in Target huh? haha..
That's hilarious! I am SO nervous to really start working on it...I'm not great with consistency!! Guess I will have to learn for Keat's sake!!
All I can say is Wow! I can't believe you of all people forgot to CLEAN the bathroom. At least she is doing better. How old do you have to be to do karate? I need to put Brayden in something. See ya Saturday
Oh man that is too funny. I think I'm going to put off potty training as long as possible.
Oh Holly! What an adventure! This sound like the kind of adventures we had right after Aiden was born and Alex was left alone while I nursed. OH THE JOYS of parenthood! Stories like these are so funny...way later! :)
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Sorry, but that is so dang funny! I honestly can't remember potty training. But, we will see how it goes the second time around right?
girl.. I almost peed my pants.. mostly because I am going thru the same thing! My kids will not stop going thru an entire roll of toilet paper! What am I to do? The funniest part is that they went swimming in it. You'll cherish this memory forever. ;)
I'm so glad I am past that potty training thing. My kids have been allowed to flush the toilet for weeks now....
Oh my Holly! What adventures you have! It couldn't get any better especially with the toilet water! I am sorry! I can't believe how big Mallory is. We need to see you guys!
Sounds like a party at your house in the bathroom! Maybe we should do that this week instead of watch Lost! Are you so excited for Thursday?! We need to organize a Lost party!
Hilarious!! I do not what to start potty training any time soon!
Holly,
I love that you are a mom. It is so funny to see all the crazy stuff you do and the cute kids you do it with. Amy Chase
Post a Comment