Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Jail, Justice, and a Rubber Snake

The kids and I went to Wal-Mart today to pick up a few odds and ends. While walking through the store the kids found a rubber snake laying in the middle of the aisle. They picked it up and were playing with it as we got the rest of the things we needed. When we got to the check out Mallory asked if we could buy the snake. I told her no. (We already have 2 rubber snakes at home). We finished checking out and I loaded the kids up into the car and the few grocery items. Got home, unloaded everyone and everything, and I notice a snake in Mallory's hand.

Me talking to myself in my head: Did she take that?! How did she get that by me? No alarms went off in the store when we left. I buckled her in the car and took her out and I did not see that snake! The little sneak!

Me to Mallory: Mallory, did you take that snake out of the store?

Mallory: Yeah. (At least she admitted it. Usually she blames Clark when she knows she's in trouble.)

Me: I told you you could NOT have that snake. And now you've stolen it. That is a bad choice! We don't steal things! Go sit in the corner!

Many tears later. . . she sat in time-out until dinner (about 25 minutes) and when Craig came home I filled him in on what our sneaky little thief had done. He had a talk with her.

Craig to Mallory: Mallory, did you steal from the store today?

Mallory: Yes.

Craig: Mallory we don't steal. Do you know what happens to people who steal?

Mallory: No.

(Chase is now listening intently.)

Craig: They go to jail. Do you want to go to jail?

Mallory: No.

Chase: Yeah, let's put her in jail!

Craig: Do you know what happens in jail?

Mallory: No.

Craig: They feed you yucky food.

Mallory: I'll be hungry. I don't want to eat yucky food.

Craig: Do you know what else they do in jail? Sometimes the girls fight. And they hit and kick each other and they're mean.

Chase: Let's put Mallory in jail!

Craig: Do you know what else happens when you go to jail? A police officer puts handcuffs on you and you can't use your hands to steal things.

Chase: Mallory, you gotta go to jail because you stole the snake!

Mallory: I don't want to go to jail. I'm just gonna run to the forest and hide and jail won't find me!

Craig: Then you would be a fugitive and that would make it even worse. Do you want to go back to the store and tell them your sorry and give them back the snake?

Mallory: Yeah.

Chase: Let's take Mallory to jail!

Me to Chase: Wow Chase! You are all about the justice! Do you want Mallory to repent and say she's sorry to the store? We can show mercy and let her apologize and take the snake back. Or do you just want her to go to jail?

Chase: I just want her to go to jail and get beat up.

(Oh goodness!! I think Chase might have some pent-up emotions about Mallory right now that are surfacing. Maybe he has some type of a personal vendetta against her? Maybe he coerced her into taking the snake so that she would get into trouble?!)

(At this point in the conversation we're also wondering how we got on the topic of jail fights. After all we are talking about a 3 year old and a 99 cent rubber snake! Is Chase influencing the direction of this conversation?!)

Me to Chase: Chase that's not very nice. We need to help Mallory out and help her to make the right decision. How do you think you can help her make the right decision?

Chase to Mallory: Mallory, you gotta go back to that store and tell them your sorry and not take the snake anymore!

Me to Chase: Good job Chase. That's a good way to help Mallory.

Craig to Mallory: What happens when we take things from the store?

Chase: We go to jail.

Craig to Mallory AGAIN: What happens when we take things from the store?

Chase: We go to jail.

Craig to Chase: Yes, thank you Chase, but I would like Mallory to answer the question. Ok?

Craig to Mallory: You aren't going to go to jail, ok. But we need to go take the snake back to the store and tell them your sorry. Can you do that?

Mallory: Yeah.

Chase: And Mallory, when you go to jail and those girls try to beat you up I'm gonna punch them and kick them and throw them in the trash can!

(Now Chase is defending her? What is going on inside his head?)

Sounds like we need to have a talk with Mr. All Justice and No Mercy too.

Needless to say, we will be taking Mallory back to Wal-mart tomorrow to return the snake. I'll let you know how she does. . . .

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I hope Chase never does anything wrong! Poor Mallory probably thought she was going to jail to get beat up. 3 years old and already a thief LOL!!! Let me know how it goes at the store.

Rochelle said...

What a funny post! I was laughing the whole time because Jayden would be doing the same thing to alyssa.

Nick and Maddy Winward said...

That is so funny! Your kids crack me up! I am looking forward to how it goes!

Hey Lucy, I'm Home said...

What a perfect teaching moment and a hilarious story combined! :)

Rae Lynn said...

Life's little lessons. You've got to love them!

Aranne and Dan said...

Kids can be so funny... Especially when you are trying to get your point across. Good luck at Walmart... Hopefully they aren't quite as tough as Chase and show Mallory some Mercy!

Dave and Camille said...

Sheesh! Good luck with that :) I was cracking up pretty good... Chase is such a boy sometimes! I can't wait to hear how things go at the store. How are things in Jersey??? I need updates and pics! Love ya! Looks like we're heading to AZ for Thanksgiving after all... fun!

Rochelle said...

K- So my Father in Law took jayden to Indiana Jones Crystal Skull this summer. I was way mad...cuz its pg-13. Anyway, Jayden was hooked and talked about it non-stop ...so we let him watch the first one and the third one (not the temple of doom cuz of the devil worshiping type stuff in it). Anyway...he's hooked and I have to love Indy. Its cute that he likes it so much..but if I had to do it over..I'd threaten my FIL with his life if wanted to take him to a movie that I hadn't approved. Jayden was also scared of the Indy ride at Disneyland cuz he thought the boulder was really gonna hit him.

Donna said...

What a funny story! Chase is such a good big brother...tough on the outside, but when it comes down to it he would do anything to protect his little sister...so precious.

Anonymous said...

That is a GREAT story! Definitely one for the books:)! Maybe Chase will be a sheriff one day!

mph said...

Hilarious!!! I love how siblings always want the harshest punishment for their brothers and sisters!!

Crystal said...

Wow!

To Chase:Can't say I would have said anything different myself when I was your age. but sounds like you turned it around nice job buddy! Your Right you have to take care of your sisters.

Mallory: I am proud of you for being honest even though you made a mistake. What a big girl!

To Craig: You guys don't live in Arizona anymore. Other state prisons are pretty nice they have cable, 3meals, nap time, play time, online school, and you get out early if the jail gets to full. Although Mallory might have liked the pink boxers that Sherrif Arpaio Makes the inmates wear. Just say'n:)

Holly: Yeah it is funny how the conversation spirals out of control really fast. It happens to me all the time. Shoot look at the media they do it too. They start with we have to stand up to those bullies after 9/11 and in know time they want us to elect a president with both Husain and Obama in his name(awk). And people went with the flow. Shoot! I didn't see that one com'n. I know we're a little upset about the economy and the war but doesn't anyone think that might be a little too much change.He He! did it again:)

Clark: I love you little guy!