Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Rubber Snake Continued. . . . .

If you missed the last post you might want to go back and read it or this one won't make sense :)

So I took Mallory back to Wal-Mart the day after the "thieving" event took place. We went to the customer service area since I had a return to make anyway. The lady in front of us had just finished making her own return and was walking away from the counter. There was no one else in the customer service area. I thought this was perfect because there would be no other distractions while Mallory made amends. No other impatient customers waiting in line behind us. Just as we got to the counter a very upset man barged right up to the counter beside us. He had a TV in his cart (obviously broken). He just started complaining about something with the remote and this and that about the TV not working. There was only one woman working in the customer service area mind you, and this man had TOTALLY disregarded us and started going on and on about his TV to the ONE customer service worker. The woman behind the counter told the man that we were here first and she was going to help us and then she would be right with him. He made a face and stopped his complaining. You could tell he was pretty upset about his TV and even more upset that he had to wait his turn. The customer service lady turned to me and took my receipt and bag of things that I needed to return. She started on the return process and was almost done when I lifted Mallory up above the counter with the snake.

Me to the Customer Service Lady (CSL): She has something to tell you.

Me to Mallory: Go ahead. What do you need to tell her?

(Mallory froze!) (We had practiced many times, but she froze!)

Mallory: Um. . . um. . . um. . .

Me prompting Mallory: I'm sorry. . . .

Mallory to CSL: I'm sorry I stealed your snake.

Mallory handed the snake to the CSL.

CSL to Me: (a confused look on her face) What is she saying?

Me to CSL: She's said she's sorry for stealing your snake. We were here yesterday and she walked out of the store with the snake without paying for it. So she's giving it back now.

Mallory to CSL: Sorry.

CSL laughs and thinks Mallory is really cute.

CSL to Mallory: (gives the snake back to Mallory) Oh, that's ok sweetie! Here you can have it!

Me to CSL: No, we didn't pay for it.

CSL to Me: That's ok. It doesn't even have a price tag on it. If I would have seen this laying around the store I probably would have just thrown it away. It's just a little rubber snake.

Me to CSL: (me taking the snake out of Mallory's hands) Really she can't have it. If I let her have the snake the only thing it teaches her is that when she steals things she gets to keep the item anyway.

CSL to Me: Well, I'm probably just going to throw the snake away so she can really have it if she wants it.

Me to CSL: I can't reward her for stealing. I'm not going to teach my child that.

Angry man with the TV to Me: (he had been listening and watching this entire exchange) Oh, I see what you're doing. I see why you won't let her have the snake.

Me to CSL: You can throw the snake away if you want to, but we're not taking it home with us.

Me to Mallory: Mallory what else do you need to tell the lady?

Mallory to CSL: I'm sorry for stealing and I won't do it again.

CSL to Mallory: That's ok. Thank you, honey!

As we walked away from the counter we heard the man with the TV begin his exchange with the customer service lady. He was speaking in much kinder and softer tones with the woman. He was calm! Him witnessing Mallory's apology had had a soothing effect. It was powerful!! There was a sweet spirit there as my little Mally girl learned to right her wrong.

After getting the boys loaded into their seats I talked to Mallory for just a minute outside the car.

Me: How do you feel in your heart Mallory?

Mallory: Feels good.

Me: Do you think you made Jesus happy by saying your sorry?

Mallory: Yeah! Jesus is happy!

It was a very sweet experience. One thing I did not expect is for the angry man to calm down like he did. I really thought he would just rip into the lady after we left. It's amazing how powerful the words "I'm sorry" are!! They can have such an effect on people who aren't even in the situation. I was truly amazed! It was neat to watch Mallory go through the steps of repentance. Even though she will remain sinless for the next five years this was great practice for her!

Another thing. . . . since when did Wal-Mart start GIVING things away that don't have price tags? Am I to assume that if the item doesn't have a price tag it must be free? (Seriously, it's happened twice now!)

P.S. - As for Mallory. . . . she will not be serving any jail time. As for Chase. . . . .twenty years from now if you're ever pulled over by an Officer Kurtzeborn. . . . . whatever you did, no matter how small of a law you broke. . . . you know you're headed for the slammer!!

12 comments:

Debbie said...

That is just the most sweet story. What a darling little girl you have, Holly. The whole story was funny and touching!

Elise and Dan said...

You go Mom!! I'm sorry, but that CSL was nuts!! She must not have had kids, and if she did then she's never taught them about stealing. "Oh you can just have it anyway."??? You were right to tell her it was not OK. I remember when I stole gum from the store when I was little. My Mom took me back and told me to say sorry as well. I've never forgotten that. You are a great Mom!

Mark and Karen said...

Way to go Mom! You did a great thing and it affected so many in a great way.

Rochelle said...

I'm so glad you followed through with returning the snake and not letting her keep it. How awesome that you also thought to ask her how she felt AFTERWARDS!!! I would have just been so relieved that the embarassment was over I wouldn't have thought of that.

Amie said...

What a great story Holly! You have such a knack of turning everyday things into a spiritual experience. I miss you so much! Goodyear needs a little Holly right now! But, I am certain you are where you are supposed to be.

P.S. That picture of Mallory is to die for. What an absolute beauty!

:) said...

I hope that you or Craig have your .22 ready for when the boys come a knockin' at your door, because that little Mallory is a knock out at 3! Holy Moly! What a wonderful thing you got to teach her.

Anonymous said...

Why would she even think about letting her keep it after you took it back, What a funny lady. She is such a cutie and Journee misses her like crazy.

The Waldon Family said...

Mallory is pretty cute!

Donna said...

Tear. What a sweet story Holly. Thanks for sharing. Oh and I LOVE, love that picture of Mallory!

Britt said...

oh how I love that you kept us posted. I was just waiting to see what happened.

I can't imagine why she would let you take it... I mean.. you were teaching her a lesson. lol. Some people.

Nadine said...

Some people are crazy. Even the angry guy knew what you were trying to teach your daughter.

Mallory it so cute in that picture. And I hope I never get pulled over by Officer Kurtzeborn... I don't want to go to the slammer! Love your story. Miss you tons.

mph said...

Awwww.. That is such a cute story and cute pic of Mallory. She looks so grown up. Good for you Holly! You are a good mom!! I am sure she won't forget the lesson you taught her.